Friday, January 05, 2007

Birthdays my conclusion

If you are thinking after my last entry that I am trying to justify birthdays you are mistaken!!!

Personally I don't feel comfortable celebrating my own birthday. The day of my birth has no significance for me. However If I am invited to a birthday or people give me presents on 28th December or If my children wish to celebrate their own birthday I will not stop them in fact I think we should celebrate it with them. I do not think that this is hypocritical and I am strongly against discouraging people from celebrating birthdays. I feel that we should tell them about the origins only If they are interested but I would like to emphasis that this is my opinion and you should seek the answer for yourself.

Lastly, there are lots more important issues to deal with then birthdays The reason why I have gone on about this issue is because it started this journey. So lets continue insha-allah.

3 comments:

MCMLXXXII said...

My opinion on this matter would be that regardless of some thing's origin, what is more important is that thing's current social significance. Context changes over time and why people did something centuries ago may not be the reason why they do it today. If the current social context of things are wrong then it would be right to forbid it. Would this view be correct?

Amir Hasan said...

True social context does have an affect on things. I give the analogical example of Slavery in todays age Slavery is prohibited by all. However the conditions of slavery still exist. Islam is antithetical to shirk. He whom Allah guides will be guided and he whom Allah misguides will remain misguided. Emphasis on being different to the Jews and the Christians is an essential guard against this shirk. However focusing on this leads to pride in ones own faith and bigotary towards others (the same as the jews)
Lastly I advise you read "into" the fatwas of Muftis regarding birthdays and then you will see why they discourage but do not disallow and in my opnion they do not "actively" discourage i.e. in otherwords it is not part of their active dawa but only discourage if asked.

Amir Hasan said...

By the way if you want to see the differences of opnion between the Ulema on the Maulad (and therefore on Birthdays) read this
http://www.livingislam.org/n/tufm_e.html